Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Climbers and directions

Yellow Mandevilla is a climber plant variety that is widely seen these days. Easy maintenance, fast growth and bright yellow coloured flowers makes it a favourite choice for all budding gardeners.
With that said, Yellow Mandevilla is a favourite of mine too. Observing it for a while, I used to wonder why some vines wrapped around the support threads grew fast and others were slow. I started to handle them with extra care and stopped touching the tender foliage. Then accidentally one day I wrapped the vine clockwise (mostly I wrap them counterclockwise and that was my subconscious choice) and noticed that there was a difference in growth. And what I observed seems to be a fact. Interesting!


People living in the northern hemisphere use to believe that vines in the northern hemisphere twisted and grew in a counterclockwise direction; and that vines growing in the southern hemisphere twisted and grew in a clockwise direction.

Do You Know Which Way Vines Grow?

0 comments